Index of Posts

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Iceland

Cute House in Rural Iceland
Iceland's Coast Line










Unfortunately, I arrived in Iceland at 5:45am while it was raining and quite cold.  For some reason, the airport did not have us use a jet bridge but walk down stairs and into the building.  I was completely wet and shivering by the time I walked the couple hundred feet. Despite the conditions, Iceland was amazingly green and beautiful. After putting on warmer clothes, I took a 45 min bus rid from the airport to Reykjavik, the capital, and gave myself an early morning brisk but complete walking tour of the city.  The surrounding three pictures were taken on the journey from the airport to Reykjavik.

A Small Fishing Town's Harbor in Rural Iceland          


I left the bus terminal and headed out through the city.  Near the University of Iceland is Tjomin, a small but beautiful body of water filled with ducks and the below very cute houses. 
Houses in Reykjavik


On the far end of the water are the City Hall and Parliament Buildings.  I then walked on to the ocean water front of the city which houses the art museum and some condominiums (I assumed) all with an interesting modern/eclectic architectural design.  Across the bay were beautiful mountains hidden in the morning fog.

Saebraut Street (NE Reykjavik) across bay
Sculpture with mountains across bay in view


Condominiums along the water front


















I then headed back to the bus station to head out for the Blue Lagoon.  Along the way I passed through a number of traditional residential neighborhoods, Laugavegur and Skolavordustigur (shopping streets), and the Hallgrimskirkja (a very distinctive church). 

Cute Icelandic Street
I made it just in time to take the 40 min bus to the Blue Lagoon.  It was a bit commercialized, but was beautiful and interesting (and the only bizarre natural site near the airport).  The water is of a very milky color and consistency filled with salt and minerals.  It is slightly more buoyant than regular water and has a natural temperature of 120 degrees.  The basin is of volcanic rock and, as it was quite interesting with heavy fog, strong and cold wind, and some drizzle.

The Blue Lagoon

 I then finished my stay with an Icelandic twisted doughnut.


No comments:

Post a Comment